Thursday, February 27, 2020

Day 24 - To Monticello & Visiting the Deborahs'

Today we got to sleep in a bit. Yesterday, we traveled from Nashville, TN, to Charlottesville, VA. We stayed at a Holiday Inn and just ate at the restaurant in the hotel. We were pretty tired from the last few days of driving and going out at night. We aren't used to all that excitement. I started coming down with a cold. No... It isn't the Coronavirus. I do have a cough, but no fever or shortness of breath. It is just a cold.

Today, after a leisurely morning, we drove over to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home just outside of Charlottesville. It was very cold today, but I was amazed that daffodils and other flowers were already blooming in February. Spring is months away in Maine. We toured the house, but no photography was allowed inside. It was an interesting tour and very educational.
The quarters of Sally Hemmings, who bore numerous children wit Jefferson. 
Us with a stature of Thom. 
An actor portraying Jefferson at Monticello.
After our tour, we drove north to Alexandria to stay with our Besties, Deborah and Debbie. I warned the about my cold, but they said to still come... I'm trying to keep my distance. They made us a great home-cooked meal... a wonderful salad and delicious spaghetti. Of course, there as also wine. We are having a great evening with them. 
I meant to take a pic before dinner, but I was hungry. 
We bought this wine from Monticello.
We also got to visit with there baby, Madge. She is such a sweetie. 
Here is the map of our travel today. 

6 comments:

  1. It will be ten weeks before we see any daffodils! How small of a place for Sally Hemmings!
    That sweet pup looks like she is old enough to know Jefferson personally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madge is a great dog! She loves to cuddle and is sweet as can bel She was a rescue and they estimate she is about 11 year's old.

      Delete
  2. came here via sooo's blog. if you are driving thru philly this weekend, scream out a HI and I will hear you. and don't forget to stop and tour my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are at my mom's this weekend Anne Marie. I grew up and she still lives in Rising Sun, MD, which is about an hour from Philly. It is about halfway between Philly and Baltimore. I've been to Philly many times, but not on this trip. We are getting anxious to get home. I will scream out Hi as we are close by.

      Delete
  3. Madge wins the day by a wet nose - with those happy daffs respectably bringing up the rear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I told Sooo... Madge is a doll! Only hope our new puppy will be as sweet as her. Was glad to see the blooms too, because it will be months before they bloom in Maine.

    ReplyDelete